Saturday, August 30, 2008

Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh

Brideshead Revisited was one of those books that I had meant to read for ages as I felt like I ought to have read it and was never forced to do so at school. After finally reading it, though, I still haven't quite decided whether I liked it or not. On one hand I loved the fact that it was an excellent insight into what aspects of life may have been like in the inter-war period in a way that only a book written near the time could. For example, the main characters smoked in bed, and you'd not read about that in a book written now about the 1920s and 30s. On the other hand, though, I thought that Brideshead Revisited was a bit long winded and quite dull in parts. On the whole I am glad that I finally read it and doing so wasn't a waste of time, but it's not a book I'll be recommending to others either.

Genre rating: 5/10
Overall rating: 6/10
Satisfaction at finally having read it rating: 10/10

No comments: